Kay Detrick Owen Scholarship
The Kay Detrick Owen Scholarship Fund was established in 2007 by The ARC Manor Foundation to support the education of students who plan to major in, or are currently studying for, a degree in human services.
A human services professional is a generic term for people who hold professional and paraprofessional jobs in diverse settings such as group homes, halfway houses, community mental health centers, programs concerned with drugs and alcohol, domestic violence, aging, correctional programs, programs for people with intellectual disabilities, social workers, and probation/parole officials. Human services is a field of study that assists individuals and communities to function as effectively as possible in major domains of living. Its objective is to meet human needs through an applied knowledge base, focusing on prevention as well as remediation of problems, and maintaining a commitment to improving the overall quality of life of service populations.
Suggested (but not limited to) acceptable examples of college majors and human services positions are psychology, sociology, social work, nursing, adult education, individual and family guidance counseling, behavioral management, criminal justice, probation officer, rehabilitation, mental health counselor, marriage and family therapist, substance abuse counselor, grief counselor, occupational therapist, case manager, child advocate, child life specialist, grant writer, interpreter, etc.
- Available to High School Seniors and Adult Students
- Approximately $1,275 available, to be split into two awards (one high school senior and one adult student)
- Preference given to Armstrong County residents
- Be accepted by, or currently enrolled at, an accredited college, university, or other post-secondary institution in the United States
- If applicant is a high school senior, must be enrolled with a major in the human services field. Preference will be given to a profession in the drug and alcohol field
- If applicant is NOT a high school senior, must be enrolled in a bachelor's or post-graduate degree program in the human services field
On one page, please answer the following: Describe why you want to work in the human services field. Do you have any specific areas of interest/concentration? If so, why?
- 2008-09 Jennifer Lynn Holcomb (High School Senior)
- 2008-09 Sheila M. Knell (Adult)
- 2009-10 Samantha Artman (High School Senior)
- 2010-11 Brianna Garretson (Adult)
- 2010-11 Theresa Cook (High School Senior)
- 2011-12 Sarah Pritt (High School Senior)
- 2012-13 Marcy Keibler (Adult)
- 2012-13 Breanna Kanish (High School Senior)
- 2013-14 Erica Alcibiade (Adult)
- 2013-14 Amy Wright (High School Senior)
- 2014-15 Hailey Bigley (High School Senior)
- 2015-16 Michaela Polka (Adult)
- 2016-17 Emily Knell (High School Senior)
- 2016-17 Rachel Stirling (Adult)
- 2017-18 Taylor Hawkins
- 2018-19 Taylor Hawkins (Adult)
- 2019-20 Olivia Wasilko (High School Senior)
- 2019-20 Caitlyn Davis (Adult)
- 2020-21 Katie McAfoose (Adult)