The Dr. John Garrott Memorial & Dr. Clifford Vogan Medical Scholarship Funds provide scholarships for post-secondary and post-graduate students who are residents of Armstrong County or students who are graduating or have graduated from Karns City High School, and who wish to pursue a career in nursing or medical school. These scholarships are made possible by the Cowansville Area Health Center Board of Directors in memory of Dr. Garrott’s and honor of Dr. Vogan’s many years of service and dedication to the residents and patients of the Cowansville Area Heath Center.
Available to High School Seniors and Adult Students
Funded by the Cowansville Area Health Center, The Dr. John Garrott Memorial & Dr. Clifford Vogan Medical Scholarships are nonrenewable gifts.
$19,400 to be split among eligible applicants
The eligible applicant must:
- Be a resident of Armstrong County or have graduated from Karns City High School
- Be enrolled in the medical arts
- Be enrolled to become a medical professional at an accredited two or four-year college, university, nursing school, or medical school
All applicants must complete the scholarship application and complete the following essay question.
One understands that many careers in the medical arts can be lucrative, but one also knows that other professions can be just as financially rewarding—if not more so. Additionally, other professions can be achieved more quickly, without as many financial and academic demands, and without the enormous time constraints almost always necessitated by a career in the medical arts. So, why medicine, an arena that constantly refuses to be run according to a schedule and that exposes one to frustration and to reality in its most terrible and absolute forms? What is it that has engaged your interest and your dedication to a career in medicine? You are encouraged to share examples of a time or of times in your life that have resulted in your determination to enter the world of medicine. Using one page, please be as specific as possible.
*The Dr. John Garrott Memorial & Dr. Clifford Vogan Medical Scholarships have the same criteria and therefore can be applied for and will be scored as one scholarship, but will still be awarded as two separate scholarships.
Past Recipients Dr. John Garrott Memorial
- 2009-10 Alaina Burns & Lucas Heller
- 2010-11 Kaityln Heginbotham
- 2011-12 Andrew Gaiser & Kevin Treacy
- 2012-13 Erica Alcibiade & Christopher Ignatz
- 2013-14 Brendon Ignatz & Noelle Lemons
- 2014-15 Shannon Stirling, Erick Shiring & Noelle Lemons
- 2015-16 Noelle Lemons, Amy Wright, Maria John & Katherine Gass
- 2016-17 Noelle Lemons, Taylor Relich & Madison Walker
- 2017-18 Emily Cornman, Kristen Miskinis, Jessica Myschisin & Madison Walker
- 2018-19 Noelle Lemons, Brendon Ignatz & Emily Cornman
- 2019-20 Noelle Lemons, Makayla Waltman & Elizabeth Penrose
Past Recipients Dr. Clifford Vogan Medical
- 2009-10 Christian Crabtree & Lucas Heller
- 2010-11 Lee Sasala
- 2011-12 Christopher Ignatz & Caleb Orendi
- 2012-13 Brendon Ignatz & Emily Mitchell
- 2013-14 Christopher Ignatz
- 2014-15 Jennifer Shannon, Tiffanie Shirey & Sarah McLafferty
- 2015-16 Roxanne Crissman, Jane Chemelli, Gina Anthony & Alyssa Burdett
- 2016-17 Madison Walker, Ashton Callipare, Alyssa Burdett & Rachel Stirling
- 2017-18 Melody Trudgen, Ashton Callipare, Taylor Relich & Rachel Stirling
- 2018-19 Callahan Sweeny, Madison Walker, Lane Sasala & Ashton Callipare
- 2019-20 Emily Cornman, Ashton Callipare, Maggie McCanna & Elizabeth Penrose